Sunday, February 26, 2012

Comparing Beginners and Enders

"Wha'cha writing?"

My writing projects begin with a vague idea of a direction and then move through twists and turns of vocabulary choices and sentence construction until the work develops its own rhythm and sense of purpose. This may seem to be an odd way to write, and often relies on a heavy finger on the delete key, but I find, talking with fellow writers, that my method is not uncommon. Writers write to find out what we think, more than we think of what we ought to write.

I mention this after reading a quote from the book, Art & Fear: Observations and Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking, by David Bayles and Ted Orland: "Art is like beginning a sentence before you know its ending." I can understand that about writing single sentences as well as on applying that strategy to other non-writing projects. One begins a task with a literal or metaphorical blank piece of paper. We are bound by the limitations of the paper, but can, within limitations of time, space, and talent, sketch out wonderful ideas and produce creative work.

I believe those who are productive and most successful are not worried about the results. This is in contrast to those who are stuck on the process and feel the need to see the ending whole and complete, before they start typing a single word. I suppose that strategy has its advocates and has its place, but I truly wonder if the "enders" get as much done as the "beginners." Most of what we do does not have a prescribed ending -- Good Lord, it sometimes does not even have a beginning. But if we wait to puzzle out all the details before we start something new, we spend all our time puzzling and not much time producing.

"Wha'cha writing?" I don't know. All I can promise is it will be better than what I have done before.

No comments:

Post a Comment