Thursday, January 2, 2014

Giving Mr. Wuffles

My wife called me to the Amazon link that was keyed to this year's top selection of children's books. The picture book featured on the screen told the story of Mr. Wuffles, a black and white tuxedo cat who "doesn't care about toy mice or goldfish. He's more interested in playing with a little spaceship full of insect-size aliens." Sounded like our kind of gift.

Each Christmas, we traditionally give books to nieces and nephews. We love researching and browsing the children's and juvenile book sections of independent and chain bookstores during the year as well as those touted by Amazon and other online entities. The best children's books are clever, creative, and current, without being cloying, and the illustrations are amazing. Mr. Wuffles (2013), by David Wiesner, Caldecott medalist (the Caldecott is the Pulitzer of children's literature, and Wiesner is one of two authors to have been awarded the medal three times), wordlessly tells the story of first kitty-contact (other than alien script and insect "cave" paintings) with finely rendered watercolor illustrations.

Over the years, we have given many different editions of Dr. Seuss, of course, as well as Polar Express, James and the Giant Peach, and other classics. After reading a little more about Wiesner, I realized that we had also given his third Caldecott winner, Flotsam (2007), as a gift some years back. Nice to see the best return to delight us.

What was a good idea when nieces and nephews were third and fourth graders, seemed not such a great idea when they passed through their teen years. So, we fell back on the tried and true and boring aunt and uncle Christmas presents of gift cards. Not as much fun as Green Eggs and Ham, Sam I am, but safer. Now, we have a new generation of young grand-nieces and grand-nephews and our book-giving binge continues.

I wondered, recently, if our Christmas books were anything other than a momentary distraction for young ones on Christmas morning. Would it be better to gift the latest "Hello Kitty" or other fad now in the rage? Then, this past Thanksgiving, one of our nieces, grown into a fine young lady and mother herself, silenced those doubts when told me that as a child she looked forward to our annual books. "My shelf above my bed was filled with the books that you guys gave me each year. I read them and reread them until I knew them by heart. I still have them and still use them."

That made me smile. My wife and I chose the books hoping that it would create a habit of reading as well as provide parent/child time when the books were read. I suppose it's old fashioned, but I think children (and adults) do need the physical presence of a book to develop and nurture the habit of reading. I think a family benefits from a book like Mr. Wuffles where, according to a reviewer on Booklist, "the mundane and the magical collide."

At one time, children's book magic was in the comic but recklessly destructive hands of the The Cat in the Hat. Now it's the turn of another generation of cat, the fickle Mr. Wuffles, to create wonder and memories through the talent of the author and the interaction of child, parent, and book. Enjoy the gifts, Bailey, Avaleigh, CC, Maleah, Quinn, and Emma. We promise to give you, as we gave your parents, a special square-shaped package each Christmas morning tied with a shiny bow and ribbon and sent, with love, from your aunt and uncle.


No comments:

Post a Comment