Monday, August 27, 2012

Teaching: Make a Difference Lives

The Skills Lab was relatively quiet today a few days before the Labor Day weekend, so I had the chance to review student folders and my attendance book from the past year. As I looked at the names of students who signed up with me a year ago, when I first began work at the Shawano and Oconto Falls Regional Learning Centers, I was struck by the fact that many of the students I worked with have moved out of the lab. They have either received their GED certificate or achieved academic skills benchmarks that have led to a college program. Unlike other teachers, I am successful when I no longer see my students.

I have worked in a lot of careers and thought that I made a difference in each one.

When I worked for a weekly Catholic newspaper, my words and photos were seen by about 25,000 readers. I thought that was important. When I worked in a college marketing department, my promotions were placed in the hands of thousands of recruits, students, faculty and staff members. I thought that was important. When I worked in hospitality, I routinely hosted over 1500 guests each year. I thought that was important. When I worked in landscape design, I created and installed hundreds of creative functional landscapes. I thought these were all important.

But none of these were as important as teaching.

When you are a teacher, you not only work with students, but with their families, their friends, their coworkers and the community. The dreams that you see come to life, change lives in ways more honestly and more completely than any other career I have had the privilege to work in. I have a front row seat as students realize, often to their surprise, that they are able to succeed in a college classroom. Empowerment is a cliche, but describes the central impact of the Basic Skills Lab.

Community advocates promote Make a Difference Days. Teachers live Make a Difference Lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment