Saturday, April 14, 2012

Moving beyond the classroom

The two line summary beneath the blog title has bothered me since I started writing this in January. Do I limit myself to education and teaching, and if I do, will I be violating the privacy my students for the sake of a blog?

As you can tell, I have been a bit self-conscious about speaking on behalf of the school I work for. I think I have gotten over that. What I see in the classroom is important, and my opinion about the importance of continuing adult education stands fast and will likely continue to inspire reflections. That is, however, only part of who I am, and if this blog is to have a life beyond the rhythms of the college semester, my subject matter needs to expand into all areas that I am interested in.

I spent the last three years developing creative writing chops in a graduate program. It seems a shame to submerge them back under an undergraduate journalistic voice, the unbiased reporter of rhe mundane. So, rather than limit myself to teaching and education, I choose to expand into other subjects. A single line about exploring "the nature of things" will be more complete than what the blog had been titled. The writing may still be boring, but it will no longer be limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment